Canboulay-fantastical experimental dance film that uses elements of Caribbean folk culture to draw parallels between the Canboulay Riots of the 1800s in Trinidad & Tobago and today’s modern use of the artforms, which were at the heart of the 1800 rebellion. As emancipated Trinidadians prepared to defy the ruling class, they called upon their ancestors to guide them. Similar defiant acts/demonstrations continue today as Black communities around the world fight oppression. They too shall rise.
Canadian Short Film
- Concept/Story Melika Forde, Shiata Lewis-Rouse & Chantelle Agadzi
- Screenplay Shiata Lewis-Rouse
- Cinematography Jabar Griffith
- Producer West Can Folk Performing Co.
- Editing Jabar Griffith & Shiata Lewis-Rouse
- Sound Zeen Inc. & Jabar Griffith
- Chantuelle Aisha Lewis
- Dancer 2 Amanda Benn
- Dancer 3 Tanika Vernon
- Dancer 4 Jaqueline Powell
- Dancer 5 Haneefa Ramlackhan
- Drummer Chantelle Agadzi