During the Vietnam War, Bruce and LV’s friendship was put to the test when U.S. soldiers mistook Bruce for a member of the Viet Cong. LV saved Bruce’s life, but both men were wounded and shipped to separate hospitals and lost contact.
The Volunteer follows Bruce’s fifty-year search for LV, exploring the power of friendship, the weight of family expectations, and the complexities of American identity as Bruce struggles to overcome his guilt, anger, and shame, and find a sense of belonging.
International Documentary - Short Form
- Concept/Story Bruce Nakashima and David Brodie
- Screenplay Bruce Nakashima and David Brodie
- Cinematography Dustin Pearlman
- Producer Melissa Brodie, Christine Nakashima, Dina Ciccotello, Whitcomb Johnson
- Editing David Brodie and Shelly Rose
- Sound Kris Huayta
- Self Bruce Nakashima
- Self LV Hendking
- Self Algene Washington Hendking
- Self Toni Juarez
- Self Chris Gordon-Clarke
- Self Lonnie Terry